Disclaimer: All posts are just containing my OPINION. I don’t mean to offend. I mean to give only my honest feedback. Also, I do not listen to every song, although I try to. (I might have missed them or the site may not have posted on it. The ‘Discovered’ section exists for this reason.)
By the way, this link here is for those who wish to look at every song that came out in each week. Since I don’t like EVERY song that comes out, I thought the Soompi tag should reflect a better picture of the releases. 😀 Another link here may help too: LINK
Songs I Like and Would Like to Recommend
1.IU returns with her third album. On the whole, there were some songs I liked and some I wasn’t too fond of. Nonetheless, a decent comeback. Title song, ‘Red Shoes’ wasn’t my cup of tea. ‘Love of B’ was better but still not really something I’m looking for. ‘Modern Times’ was a little bit too immature for me. ‘Obliviate’ was not too bad. ‘Havanah’ too but it’s a bit too cute and falsetto-ish(I’m picky about its use) for me. ‘Wait’ is a song in which IU only starts singing around the 1:41 mark. The instrumentals are fantastic but I didn’t like the way she sung the song. It suits the instrumentals, yes. But I never appreciated cutesy vocals. Also, the way she always tends to sing in the falsetto range is getting boring for me. 😛My favourites are ‘Everyone Has Secrets’ (It’s got this exciting, sexy tone to the song. It’s great that Ga In sets the tone first with her husky voice that’s so suitable for such songs.),
‘Between The Lips/50cm’ (is a song that I think would be fitting for a french film. It’s whimsical but also romantic. The more I listen to it, the more I like it 🙂 ) , ‘Bad Day’ (I love this ballad! She expressed her ‘pain’ very well 🙂But what I loved more, was that IU only uses her falsetto when necessary in this song. She tends to use them a lot, which I feel sometimes don’t go too well with the genre and becomes too weak for my liking.) , ‘Walk With Me, Girl‘ (is a latin-ballad. I think having Choi Baek Ho was a good decision. A rather solid song IMO.), ‘A Gloomy Day’ (reminds me of Kim Ye Rim’s ‘Rain’. The acoustic instrumental and airy singing is relaxing and easy to like If you haven’t already realised, this song is a collaboration between SHINee’s Jong Hyeon and IU. In fact, he composed this song and wrote its lyrics.), ‘Daydream‘ (is sung by IU and Yang Hee Eun. It’s a full-fledged ballad that’s majestic but dreamy :)), ‘Voice Mail‘ (is another ballad. Her falsetto here is great. I really liked that there are some solid vocal lines to balance out her falsetto lines. The piano was beautiful. :D)
2. Ka Hee (Ex-After-School Leader) is back after a hiatus and I think she nailed it with her title song. ‘It’s Me (featuring Dumbfoundead, composed by Rottful Sky)‘. I’m pleasantly surprised me with the soloist’s sultry, bold vocals because she usually raps when she was in AS. The song really suits her sexy diva image. Dumbfoundead did his part well too. I love that both her dance and MV outfits wasn’t feminine and sexy. As for the music video, we mostly see her roaming the streets of Barcelona, Spain, which makes for some awesome MV backdrop. And her charisma!!! Other songs that I liked were ‘Hey Boy (featuring Dok2‘; Loved the electric guitar – so badass. But I didn’t like the part from 2:18 to 2:37. it felt redundant and I wouldn’t have mind if the song was shorter than usual.), ‘Slow‘ is a simple ballad. It’s great because her vocals are solid here. 🙂
3. Block B pre-released ‘Be The Light‘ not long ago and now, they have (officially) returned with ‘Very Good’ On the first listen, I really didn’t know what to think of the song. The track direction was hard to predict. But Block B is exactly like that. LOL. The song is actually extremely catchy and energetic, and before I knew it, I had actually replayed the videos a couple of times. As for the MV, it’s just so quirky, crazy and wacky that it makes it so much fun to watch. There are more candid shots in this dance version. Also, an MV write-up by Seoulbeats’ Pat here. ‘When, Where, What, How’ is a sexy (an understatement once the lyrics are read), playful jazz-pop track that’s a favourite of mine. I knew Park Kyeong could sing but I didn’t know his vocals were that smooth. Having Urban Zakapa’s Jo Hyeon Ah was a great addition. They sound good together too:) Is it me or do I actually hear Zico and U-Kwon at times? ‘Nice Day’ is a fun, groovy song. I feel so happy listening to this 🙂Together with ‘Be The Light’, this mini album is definitely worth a listen!! Also, The showcase was a huge event, having more than performances, wherein it’s more like a thank you gift to the fans and vice versa. Showcase performances: Very Good (2013 comback title), when where what how(park kyeong and Jo Hyeon Ah; 2013 mini album track), where are you (taeil solo ballad; 2012 first album track), romantically (2012 first album track), be the light (2013 mini abum pre-release), nice day (2013 mini album track), nanrina (2012 first album title).
4. MYNAME releases an above-average mini album ‘Day By Day’, which reminds me of how I viewed Block B’s ‘Be The Light’ – while all of the songs are like what I have heard before, they are solid tracks that succeed in their own genre. Geon Woo, by the way, did a great job once again:) You can go to this youtube uploader: LINK for the rest of the songs (most are ballads: ‘It’s gonna be alright’, ‘Goodbye’, ‘Can’t Erase’ and ‘U-turn(pop ballad)’)
5. ‘Girls, Why?‘ is a soothing song that has VIXX and indie female duo OK(Sang)DAL(Bit) (meaning rooftop moonlight) collaborating for the ‘Y.BIRD from Jellyfish Island’ project album. I really like the duo’s simple but relaxing vocals! With regards to the MV, I like the backdrop, that was used while Ravi rapped and one half of the duo sang, the most. For the MV BTS: LINK
OK/Not Too Bad
I very much expected (assumed, rather) that Jeong Jun Yeong would go rock (not soft rock,mind). So with that frame in mind, his debut album didn’t do too well for me. But when I listened to ‘Spotless Mind (It’s a disease?)’, it wasn’t as bad as I thought. As for the MV, I preferred the second version (first version here). It was more visually stimulating (well, I’m shallow like that. :P) and less dreary overall. ‘10 Minutes Before Break Up/ The Sense of an Ending‘ really reminds me of G.O.D’s ‘Road’ during the former’s chorus. Not too bad. The 10 minutes count was quite messed up in the MV. lol. The video provided some really great shots though:) And the forever–> over was quite clever! I never thought of the words this way 😛 I think, I have clearly been spoiled by One Ok Rock because the rest of the songs -‘ Really’ (has an engaging chorus though), ‘Be Stupid’, ‘Take Off Mask'(Why is the grammer..? I’m no grammer nazi but isn’t he fluent in English?), ‘Missed Call’ – weren’t impressive enough IMO. Without a doubt, Jeong Jun Yeong has amazing vocals. Unfortunately, I felt the songs in this album didn’t do them justice (Well, he did show them off, but the songs were too generic for me.).
SHINee‘s is back with a title song more mainstream than ever, if that made sense. Most of their songs are ear friendly pop. But they are also rather similar to their ‘Sherlock’ days and similar to one another. Honourable mentions: ‘Close It’. ‘Symptoms/Lovesick’ and ‘One Minute Back’ were not too bad.
3. T-ara returns with double title tracks ‘Number 9‘ and ‘Because I Know’. The former is an undoubtedly extremely catchy track but some of the singing parts were too sharp/pitchy for me. I liked the electronic break here though. I thought ‘Because I Know‘ did better with its sweeter singing. and it’s one of my favourites out of the mini album 🙂‘Hurt’ sounds vaguely familiar at the chorus, which is coincidentally the part I liked most. ‘Don’t Get Married’ is a more upbeat track that’s not too bad. I couldn’t find ‘again 1977’ on youtube. According to a forum, the song is on the physical album. BTW, did So Yeon really go for plastic surgery? I couldn’t tell what she changed. Heh
4. JYJ’s Jae Jung‘s ‘A Sunny Day (featuring Noel’s Lee Sang Geon)‘ is a rock ballad single. Honestly, the verses were quite boring but the chorus was really good. :)I wished that the song was more towards rock than ballad though. 😛
OMG and I call myself a Ju Yeong fan >.< Here’s his latest (30th Sept release) single ‘Popstar’. Like Jeong Jun Yeong, I was expecting much from him so, I didn’t like ‘Popstar’ the way I thought I would. (It’s a lightly catchy RnB track) After a few more tries, it’s actually quite addicting 😀 Bonus(?): Ju Yeong covers ‘nothing’s gonna change my love for you‘
Others and Covers
1. I’m putting Jay Park‘s ‘Respect 16’ since it isn’t a korean song. The rap-only track, according to dkpopnews, is a representative song for one of the world’s five major b-boy competitions.
2. The MV for Global Icon‘s ‘Gi-Yeuk/ㄱ’ has been released!
3. Han Byeol of LEDApple delivers a stunning cover of Miley’s ‘Wrecking Ball’!
5. I wonder if this should be in the songs section. Gruff rapper Song Mino(almost a block b member but previously a Bom member, now YG Win’s Team A leader) recently made his own song (‘Eolle likkeo lledi) and MV. The rap song sounds a bit like G-Dragon’s ‘Crayon’ in the beginning but the ‘eohlle likkeo lledi’ lines gradually became very addicting! The cameos by his friends (especially Nam Tae Hyeon) and the last part where he’s trying to get Kang Seung Yun‘s attention by ‘flailing'(:P) about cracked me up. Haha.
6. BTS boys did a remake of Mariah Carey’s ‘Beautiful’ and I can’t help but look at V’s facial expression because they are so distracting and funny at the same time!
7. Lunafly covered Adele’s ‘Someone Like You’(till ~4:16 mark) and Bruno Mars’ ‘When I Was Your Man’(~5:13 to the end of the video) during their first Seoul concert. But I think they did the latter song better.
8. K.Will(!!!!)’s teaser for his comeback(eeee!!!): The teaser has K.Will not-so-discreetly coughing up his name, requesting for support (because IU and Shinee are back too, despite them returning earlier) and lastly, giving us the date of his comeback. *So excited*
Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed!